Sunday, March 31, 2013

Give me books, or give me death.

There is one thing in life that I cherish above all else (besides my family) and that would be books. I am one of those people who would rather hold the object in my hand to feel the weight of the story I'm about to dive into. If you haven't noticed by now 16th century England more than piques my interest, so if I come across a book I haven't read that places itself in that setting I'm bound to snatch it up. For this blog entry I've decided to create a list of 10 books that I have read, which I deem "must reads" at this moment in time: 5 history and 5 fiction. (Keep in mind there are MANY worthy of reading and everyone has a different taste)

History:

  • Heretic Queen by Susan Ronald
  • Elizabeth by David Starkey
  • The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir
  • The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer
  • The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England by Ian Mortimer
Fiction:
  • Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (Series)
  • The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
  • The Queen's Fool by Phillipa Gregory
  • Pavane by Keith Roberts
  • The Candlemass Road by George MacDonald Fraser
I'm not going to give a review of any of these books. I want all of you to explore them for yourselves and form your own opinions if you so desire. I would love to hear any suggestions on what to read next or if anybody has their own thoughts about the books I have listed. 

Read on!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to say that I am just as much of an Elizabethan fanatic as you! I am pretty much obsessed with anything Renaissance and Elizabethan related. I even go to the PA Renn Faire every year for my birthday :) Anyway... you might want to check out this book "The Lady Elizabeth" by Alison Weir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cool that you are interested in Renaissance stuff. I own the Six Wives of Henry VIII, but have never read it. There is a song by the band YES with the same title. Some parts of the song have an Elizabethan feel to them. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete